Orlando (Port Canaveral), Florida
An American classic. Chronicles the author's years traveling the North American continent with his ...
The story of the Civil War general Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson. By SC Gwynne....
The New York Times sports columnist Vecsey gives the scoop on the national pastime. By George Vecse...
Orlando is a busy, compact city with plenty of adventure. Its tropical climate makes it perfect for year-round family fun. The city is known for its world-class theme parks, pristine golf courses, and the out-of-this-world space and science centers.
Orlando is a center for engineering and technology, due in part to its proximity to the Kennedy Space Center. Tour the launch areas where the first moon landing missions in U.S. history began. At the Space Shuttle Launch Experience, climb inside a shuttle cabin for a ride as close as you’ll get to actual lift-off into outer space.
The Orlando Science Center, located near the downtown area, offers fascinating family fun. Exhibits here cover everything from dinosaurs to Florida’s plant and animal life, and the science behind light and electricity.
During the long, humid summer, pick a shady spot in the Harry P. Leu Gardens, a 50-acre (20-hectare) expanse of green lawns and old oak trees. From here you can admire one of Orlando’s great natural attractions, the afternoon thunderstorms. When these roll in, prepare for dramatic lightning shows and a quick burst of rain.
ORLANDO – Port Canaveral
- Port Canaveral is the main cruise port serving Orlando. It is approximately 50 miles from the main Orlando hotel area. Travel Time: Approximately 48 minutes depending on traffic.
- Orlando International Airport (MCO) is approximately 8 miles outside the Orlando city center. Travel time to the city is approximately 15-minutes depending on traffic.
- Distance from the Orlando International Airport (MCO) to Port Canaveral is approximately 46 miles with a travel time of approximately 45 minutes depending on traffic.
The best time to book a cruise is during Wave Season : (January–March) is when you'll score the year's top deals, including free perks (like upgrades & onboard credits) and discounted fares.
Mainland flight times
- 5 hours from San Francisco (SFO)
- 2.5 hours from New York (JFK)
- 2.5 hours from Dallas Fortworth (DFW)
We offer a variety of transportation options in Port Canaveral, Florida in order to make your cruise vacation truly spectacular.
While traveling in Port Canaveral we recommend :
- Reserving Private or Shared transfers at the time of booking.
- The US dollar is the currency, as it is throughout the United States.
- ATMs are found everywhere in Orlando.
- Credit cards are accepted at most places, making it unnecessary to carry large amounts of cash.
- Restaurants: The usual is 10 - 15%
- Porters: $2-$10
- Taxi's: 10% - 20% of the fare
- Port Canaveral follows Eastern Standard Time or Eastern Daylight Time and observes Daylight Saving Time.
- Clocks are turned 1 hour forward (March - November), and 1 hour backward (November - March of the following year.)
Follow @wsj Breaking news and features from the WSJ....
Follow @nytimesarts Arts and entertainment news....
Follow @nytimes One of the best sources for national news....