Salzburg, Austria (Passau)
Explore the medieval alleys, imposing castles and surrounding mountains of this picturesque Austrian city that gave the world Mozart and The Sound of Music.
Visit Salzburg to enjoy medieval architecture, music festivals and a sophisticated food scene. This scenic city sits on the banks of the Salzach River. Take a cruise on the water to get your bearings. Walk along the shores on the weekends to experience the Salzach Galleries (Salzachgalerien), a fabulous open-air market.
On the Salzach’s western bank is Salzburg’s Old Town (Altstadt), a World Heritage Site where building is strictly regulated in order to preserve the area’s original flavor. You’ll find many historic attractions, including the Salzburg Cathedral (Salzburger Dom) and Mozart Square (Mozartplatz). Overlooking the stately square of Residenzplatz, is the Residenz palace where the rulers of Salzburg lived in the 1500s. Visit this ornate building to see grand chambers and works by Rembrandt and other European masters. On the medieval street of Getreidegasse you can shop for high-end clothing and traditional souvenirs, and visit Mozart’s Birthplace (Mozarts Geburtshaus).
Bordering the Old Town is the towering Mönchsberg mountain. Ride the cable railway to the top of the mountain to visit Hohensalzburg Fortress (Festung Hohensalzburg), among the largest and most impressive castles in Europe.
Cross to the eastern banks of the river to walk up Salzburg’s tallest city peak, Kapuzinerberg. You’ll be rewarded with panoramic city views that are especially grand at sunset.
SALZBURG (Austria) – Passau (Germany)
- Passau, Germany is the main river cruise port for Salzburg, Austria - it is approximately 75 miles from the city center of Salzburg. Travel Time: Approximately 1-hour, 45-minutes depending on traffic.
- Salzburg Airport (SZG) is the main international airport for the region. It is approximately 80 miles from the Passau port area with travel time of approximately 2-hours depending on traffic.
- Distance from the Salzburg Airport (SZG) to Salzburg city center is 2 miles, with a travel time of approximately 15 minutes depending on traffic.
We can arrange a variety of transportation options throughout Europe to make your Europe vacation truly spectacular. Whether you simply need transportation between the airport and hotel, or you want to charter a private yacht or jet, we offer you choice and will manage the important details.
While traveling in Austria we recommend :
- Private transfers at time of booking - All transfers include a meet-and-greet by English-speaking drivers, luggage assistance, and bottled water in modern vehicles to and from all points of entry as well as between cities.
- To enter and leave Europe, all U.S. citizens must carry a valid passport.
- It is the traveler’s responsibility to obtain the proper documents
- The Euro is the official currency of the European union and its member countries. Other European Currencies include the Swiss Franc and the British pound. Exchange rates vary by currency and economic seasonality.
- Restaurants: In general, 5-10%
- Porters: $1
- Taxi's: Round up
- Austria is GMT + 1
Europe spans three time zones:
- Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) which is 5 hours ahead of Eastern standard Time.
- Central Standard Time which is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
- Eastern European Time which is 7 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.