San Juan, Puerto Rico
Land Package Types
Gold4 - 5 Star Hotel with private transfers between port, airport, and hotel, and a recommended tour.
Silver3.5 - 4.5 Star Hotel with private or shared transfers between port, airport, and hotel, and a recommended tour.
Bronze2.5 - 4 Star Hotel with shared transfers between port, airport, and hotel, and a recommended tour.
Visit Puerto Rico’s capital to sunbathe on white-sand beaches, shop in stylish boutiques and explore historic buildings dating back to the 16th century.Enjoy a tropical beach vacation in San Juan and explore the many historic sites in one of the oldest cities in the Americas.
The oldest part of the city, known as Old San Juan (El Viejo San Juan), is a small island connected to the mainland by bridges. Here, you’ll find many of the city’s most popular attractions, historic buildings, restaurants and shops.
Visit the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, which has a wide range of exhibits, regular cultural events and a beautiful botanical garden. Just a short walk away is the Catedral de San Juan where you can attend a Spanish mass or view the final resting place of Ponce de Leon, a Spanish explorer and the first Governor of Puerto Rico.
No trip to the area is complete without a visit to the San Juan National Historic Site. This massive complex is World Heritage listed and includes many of the city’s defensive walls and fortresses. Plan to spend several hours here as you can explore dungeons and tunnels, and climb towers for 140-feet-(42-meter) high views of the city.
San Juan is well known for its excellent shopping, so make the time to wander along the Calle del Cristo, Old San Juan’s popular shopping street. You’ll find famous international boutiques alongside merchants selling local goods.
If you are traveling from the west coast, plan on leaving as early as 7 a.m., or take a red-eye flight to Miami, Atlanta, or New York and connect from there. Coming from New York, you can expect to travel approximately five hours, from Atlanta or Miami it can be approximately three hours and as long as eight hours from Seattle. In any case, plan on leaving early or on a red-eye flight from the West Coast.Flight times
- 2.5 hours from Miami
- 3.5 hours from New York City
- 4.5 hours from Chicago
We can arrange convenient and comfortable transfers at the time of booking. You will be met at the airport and taken to your hotel via taxi or shared transfer. In some locations, a private car transfer can be arranged to avoid the stops. We can also arrange friendly and fast car-rental service on many of the Caribbean Islands; with an availability of the most popular car rentals, from convertibles to minivans to four-wheel-drive jeeps. Be prepared to drive on the left side of the road on many islands.
While traveling in Puerto Rico we recommend:
- Private transfers at time of booking - Private transfers include a meet-and-greet by English-speaking drivers, luggage assistance, and bottled water in modern vehicles.
- Passports are not required for U.S. citizens.
- U.S. currency is accepted nearly everywhere you go in the Caribbean.
- Currency can be exchanged at banks and island hotels (although for slightly more than the standard exchange rate).
- Most major American and European credit cards are accepted throughout the islands.
- ATMs are widely available throughout the Caribbean.
- The islands that make up the Caribbean span several time zones.
- Most Caribbean islands lie in the Atlantic Standard Time zone, but a few are in the Eastern Time Zone.
- Many of the islands do not observe daylight savings time.