Switching between modern-day and 17th-century Venice, this novel offers an intriguing mix of histor...
The definitive review of Baroque art & architecture. Unrivaled in detail and scope. By Rudolf Wittk...
This fascinating guide explores the beautiful mosaics, unique architecture and the historical role ...
The Floating City is as romantic as it gets, with its gondolas, serenaders, dazzling palazzos and churches, and almost timeless feel.
Walk on the cobblestone streets and arched bridges of this pedestrian-friendly island city in northeastern Italy and let your senses guide you. Hear the water lap against the gondolas in the canals. Breathe in the aroma of fresh Italian food and taste quality wine on the restaurant terraces. Feel the sun warm your skin as you wander through St. Mark's Square (Piazza San Marco) and listen to street musicians perform serenades to lovers.
Even in the cooler winter months, Venice is bustling. Summer days can get hot and crowded, while autumn and spring are usually the most pleasant times to visit. It is easy to visit all premier attractions in just a few days. St. Mark’s Square is magnificent and a good place to start. Two of Venice’s most spectacular buildings, St. Mark’s Basilica (Basilica di San Marco) and the Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale), rub shoulders at the east end of the square. Find the best example of Venice’s Byzantine influence in the basilica, with its ornate golden mosaics and elaborate domes. The palace impresses with ostentatious displays of wealth and power.
The S-shaped Grand Canal brings you to most attractions. You could spend hours just watching gondolas and vaporettos (water buses), or hop on one yourself for a romantic boat ride. Glide past buildings such as the Gothic-style palace Ca’ d’Oro, the Basilica of St. Mary of Health (Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute) and beneath the iconic Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto). Stop for a plate of risi e bise (rice and peas) at a traditional osterie (a bar serving food).
Don’t miss treasures such as the Chiesa Santa Maria dei Miracoli, a 15th-century marble church. Take a ferry ride to the islands of Murano and Burano. Both are known for their artisans who work with glass and lace respectively. The islands make for a peaceful day trip away from the chaotic but irresistible heart of Venice.
Savor your days in the Floating City and enjoy the Italian passion for food, romance and style.
We can arrange a variety of transportation options throughout Europe to make your Europe vacation truly spectacular. Whether you simply need transportation between the airport and hotel, or you want to charter a private yacht or jet, we offer you choice and will manage the important details.
While traveling in the Italy we recommend :
- Private transfers at time of booking - All transfers include a meet-and-greet by English-speaking drivers, luggage assistance, and bottled water in modern vehicles to and from all points of entry as well as between cities.
- The Euro is the official currency of the European union and its member countries. Other European Currencies include the Swiss Franc and the British pound. Exchange rates vary by currency and economic seasonality.
- Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) which is 5 hours ahead of Eastern standard Time.
- Central Standard Time which is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
- Eastern European Time which is 7 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
Follow @ItalyMagazine Tweets offer a lot of Italian travel inspiration....
Follow @john_hooper Italy & Vatican correspondent, The Economist, and S. Europe Editor, the Guardian....
Follow @veniceempire Website for anyone who loves Venice, Venezia, La Serenissima....
- A passport is required when traveling outside of your country. If any passenger carries anything other than a Passport supplied by your home country, please contact the Consulate of the country(s) you are visiting to verify document requirements. If you do not have appropriate documentation, you will be denied entry. Passports must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your return trip for international travel.