Corfu's pastitsada is the product of centuries of Italian influence. By Soleil Roth....
Just before the Second World War the Durrell family decamped to the glorious, sun-soaked island of ...
The Durrell family are immortalised in Gerald Durrell's My Family and Other Animals and its ITV a...
Situated at the edge of Corfu town, the new port takes on ferries from the Greek mainland, as well as from places like Venice and Ancona in Italy. A popular destination for cruise liners, the port acts as the gateway to the phenomenal beaches, resorts, traditional historic architecture and olive tree-laden landscape of the west coast island of Corfu.
Getting to this Greek island town is only a hop and skip away for most international travelers flying in from Europe, with the island's convenient international airport and flights going between continental Europe and other major Greek destinations. Also, the more exciting way in - and more obvious - is through the port, with numerous comfortable and modern ferry services.
Passenger services at the port are usually quite accommodating. With not much happening directly by the port, ships will offer you free shuttle into town just a few miles in, and once there you can decide to rent a car, find a taxi or just hang around the lovely duty-free shops.
Late spring and early fall bring fewer crowds and temperate weather. Enjoy the changing scenery in the spring and fall months and take advantage of fewer crowds at historical sights. Summer brings hot weather and resorts filled with vacationing Europeans. Winter can be harsh with snow and rainstorms throughout the season
Spring is ideal, with fewer tourists, lower rates, and plenty to see. February brings Carnivali and April brings Greek Easter. In the cold months of winter, transportation to the island is limited and many hotels and sights close.
One Day in Corfu
Corfu has a number of exciting ways to spend the day. Among the most popular ways are on the beach, or to head in to the resorts for a proper pampering, but there is a lot more to do in this great town. Mosey on down to one of Corfu's many stone-lined shopping streets near to the Old Fortress, full of quaint places ranging from boutiques to cafes to specialty shops. Then there is the infrastructure itself, full of wonderfully kept Venetian period structures, including the fortress and surrounding bridge and old walls.
- Take in the sun at one of Corfu's idyllic beaches and enjoy some watersports or just relax.
- Tour Sissi's palace and enjoy the breathtaking views while wandering through the gardens.
- Stroll through the maze of streets that make up Old Town Corfu.
Things to do
- Cruise by hydrofoil (fast water vessel) to the island of Hydra, where you can stroll, shop, and swim.
- Take a private car and driver to the Archaeological Museum and the Parthenon to truly understand the history of Greece.
- Take a tour of Mycenae by driving along the coastal road to visit ancient ruins. Then visit Epidaurus and its theater, famous for its expert acoustics.
We offers a variety of transportation options throughout Europe in order to make your Europe vacation truly spectacular. While limousines are a fun and private way to see many of the sights in Europe, private jets, rental cars, and shuttle transfers are also available.
- The Euro is the official currency of the European union and its member countries. Other European Currencies include the Swiss Franc and the British pound. Exchange rates vary by currency and economic seasonality.
- Restaurants: In general, a 10 to 15% tip is usually sufficient
- Porters: $1
- Taxi's: Round Up
- • Greece is GMT + 3 hours
Europe spans three time zones:
- Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) which is 5 hours ahead of Eastern standard Time.
- Central Standard Time which is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
- Eastern European Time which is 7 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time.
- A passport is required when traveling outside of your country. If any passenger carries anything other than a Passport supplied by your home country, please contact the Consulate of the country(s) you are visiting to verify document requirements. If you do not have appropriate documentation, you will be denied entry. Passports must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your return trip for international travel.